2016 SAN JUAN ISLANDS AGRICULTURAL SUMMIT: REGENERATION!
Summit Dates: February 12-13, 2016
Summit Location: Various locations in Friday Harbor, San Juan Island
The San Juan Islands Agricultural Summit is back in 2016! This year it will take place in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island on Friday and Saturday, February 12-13th. Join fellow farmers, regional experts, local food and farm advocates for three days of education, inspiration, and camaraderie.
Registration is now open! Sign up before February 1st for Early Bird Pricing: Early bird rate for the Saturday Summit is $50 pp, or $55 pp including a ticket to Friday night’s Plenary Talk by Dr. Courtney White.
Keynote speakers for 2016 will include
- Courtney White, author of Soil, Grass, Hope: A Journey Through Carbon Country, and Two Percent Solutions for the Planet. White offers positive solutions for farmers to “regenerate the planet now, rather than in some distant future.”
- Severine von Tscharner-Fleming will also join the Summit as a keynote speaker. Severine is a visionary, farmer, activist, and organizer based in the Champlain Valley of New York. She is founder and director of The Greenhorns, a grassroots cultural organization with the mission to promote, recruit and support a growing movement of young farmers and ranchers in America. She also co-founded the National Young Farmers Coalition, the Agrarian Trust, and Maine Sail Freight. She is a director of the Schumacher Center for New Economics.
2016 San Juan Islands Agricultural Summit Schedule here 2016 Summit Fri-Sat Schedule 1 18 16
Friday, February 12th:
- Hands-on Workshops: For a schedule and workshop descriptions go to 2016 Summit Friday Workshops 1 18 16. Workshops include curing and charcuterie with Farmstead Meatsmith; Product Development for Value Added Foods with Fred Berman; All Things Apple (Apple workshop SJIs Ag Summit 2016); and Baking Bread with Local Grains with Jonathan Bethoney, resident baker at The Bread Lab; All Things Ruminant with Dr. Susan Kerr, WSU; Dave Ridle, Skagit Farmers Supply Forage Specialist; Dr Ali Kashani, WSDA; and Kelsey Greene, San Juan Islands Conservation District; and Writing Your Own Farm Plan, with Bruce Gregory, San Juan Islands Conservation District. Times and prices vary, locations noted in the registration.
- Young Farmers Roundtable Discussion with Severine von Tscharner Fleming. 3-5 pm. A chance for young farmers to explore and dicuss ideas and issues with the Director and Founder of Greenhorns. Location TBD.
- Soup and salad at the Grange: Light, local soup dinner prior to the Plenary talk. $12 pp 5-7 pm
- Plenary talk: Dr. Courtney White: Grass, Soil, Hope: Regenerative Solutions in Changing Times. Dr. White is author of Two Percent Solutions for the Planet and Soil, Grass, Hope: a Journey Through Carbon Country. 7 pm at SJ Theater.
Saturday, February 13th: Summit Saturday at Friday Harbor Middle School, 7:30 am – 5:30 pm. Pre-registration preferred: earlybird before February 1st: $50 pp for Summit Saturday; $55 for a package including the Saturday Summit sessions, lunch plus a free ticket to Plenary Talk by Dr. Courtney White on Friday night. $60 between February 2nd to 11th. Registration closes on February 11th. At the door ($70 pp). Includes delicious local lunch.
- Summit Saturday: For a full schedule of Saturday sessions and talks go to 2016 Summit Saturday Schedule 1 19 16. Saturday will include a keynote talk by Severine von Tscharner Fleming, interactive lunch panel discussion with Severine, Courtney White and Chad Kruger, Director of the NW Research Station in Mt Vernon, over 20 sessions on relevant subjects, and opportunities to network and meet with fellow farmers and local food advocates.
- Summit Social Hour, 5:30-7:00 pm at the Grange. Get together with fellow Summit goers to share inspiration and ideas. Drinks and bites provided.
- Taste of San Juans and Mixer, 6:30-10:00 pm at Brickworks. A chance to sample small bites and sips of delicious local foods prepared by local chefs and farms, mingle and network with Summit attendees, and dance to local music. Tickets to The Taste of the San Juans at the door.
Scholarships and volunteers: Partial and full scholarships are available for those who would not otherwise be able to attend. Scholarships will be asked to donate a certain number of hours in support of the Summit. Please contact email@example.com if interested.
Sponsorships: Please contact us if you are interested in sponsoring or volunteering at the Summit. Sponsorships will be prominently acknowledged in Summit materials and support scholarships, travel and stipends for workshop and session leaders. Three levels: Gold – $400+; Silver – $200-$399; Bronze – $100-$299.
Click the image below to show your support for local food and farming in San Juan County, or send a check to SJC ARC, 350 Court St #16, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. For tax deductible contribution, make you check out to SJI Ag Guild, note 2016 Ag Summit. Thank you!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.